Monday, April 11, 2011

Saturday Night Live - Helen Mirren 4/9/11

      Hi again! Saturday Night Live is the topic this time. Some background about me is I am a huge Saturday Night Live fan since forever. Season 36 hasn't been half bad. Last Saturday's host was Helen Mirren, who was on there to promote Arthur. It was a hit or miss episode with a disappointing digital short in my opinion. 
      The opening sketch was a little low on the laughs with President Obama impression but no doubt Fred Armisen does a great one though. Helen's monologue was funny but short i felt. The sketches I loved was "Celebrity Taxes" with all the celebrity impressions which were amazing. I laughed the whole time. I also loved the "Mary Shelley" sketch with Frank Stein as the landlord. Very creative and amusing. Weekend update was great up until whoever Kenan Thompson was supposed to be doing. The only funny apart about that was watching Seth Meyers in the background dance to the music. "The Roosevelt's" was okay, it had some laughs but wasn't my favorite. Same with the digital short. It was a funny concept to touch Helen Mirren's boobs but it goes past funny to a WTH then back to funny when Kristen Wiig comes in and motor boats Helen. 
      The sketches I didn't like at all was the "Strip Club" sketch, I don't know the point of it was, the "Fox and Friends" sketch was pointless and I absolutely hated the "Underground Festival: Easter" sketch. I did not see anything funny about it. They could of replaced these with some of the popular favorites like the Miley Cyrus show or Penelope for starters. 
     Overall, it wasn't a bad episode, but compared to last weeks Elton John,Tom Hanks and other guest stars amazing episode, it definitely came up short. Well thats my opinion! Comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment